Depending on market conditions, it isn’t always easy to find your “Dream” home. You have the angst of knowing what you like but are wondering if that home really exists. After filtering through 100’s of home listings you finally find “the One”. You place a good offer, complete your financing, and receive the call the home is yours – but you haven’t crossed the finish line just yet. It is time to March into Closing on your “Dream” home.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you take possession of your keys.
Preparing for Your Closing:
- Gather your team- When you’re this close to closing on your “Dream” home you don’t want to miss something that could cause delays or the deal to fall through. Make sure you have a solid team on your side to help you avoid any surprises.
- Complete your Action Checklist: This list should include the Home Inspection, Appraisal, Loan Documents, Insurance, and Final Walk through. Don’t forget to transfer all the utilities into your name.
- Closing Day required items: Take with you to the Closing your Photo ID, all documents or paperwork for the title company or loan officer, Certified or cashier’s check for closing costs.
What Happens on Closing Day:
*Note: be prepared for a ton of paperwork! 😀
- You’ll pay any remaining closing costs, as listed in your Closing Disclosure.
- The seller will sign documents to transfer property ownership
- You will sign a:
– Settlement statement that lists all costs related to the home sale
– Mortgage note stating your promise to repay the loan
– Mortgage or deed of trust securing the mortgage note
- Finally, the title company will register the new deed in your name.
Congratulations on finding your “Dream” home! You are almost ready to move in. To ease the process, we have included a few links to help you educate yourself on the Closing Process.